I love weekends for lots of reasons but mainly because time seems to slow down a bit and I can do simple things like make breakfast for myself. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies and I cook nearly every night. I've always had a knack for cooking (thanks mom for letting my grubby kid hands in the kitchen at an early age!) but in the past couple of years I've really started playing around with new recipes and coming up with my own style which has been really fun and fulfilling (unintentional pun)! I thought I'd share some of my favorite recipes with you here since it's such a big part of my everyday, hope you like this new series!
ON MY MENU:
Sweet Potato Toast with Pea Mash and a Poached Egg
- a small sweet potato (or half of a medium one)
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas (if you don't have, you can use 1/2 of an avocado instead - so good!)
- 1 egg
- a small amount of fat free feta (or full fat- you do you!)
- 1 fresh red chili or red pepper flakes*
- pumpkin seeds for topping (not pictured in top photo)
*optional, if you like spice!
- slice the sweet potato into half inch planks, put a little bit of olive oil in a pan on medium high heat, place the potato into the hot pan, sear the planks for 5-6 mins on each side, once done, set on plate with paper towel and dab off excess oil
- if you choose to use fresh chili, chop it up and fry for 5 mins in the same pan as the potato, once done remove and set aside*
- heat a small pan with a cup of water and blanche the peas for about 5 mins, strain peas and set aside
- either poach the egg or pan fry it- it's totally up to you!
- mash the peas together with about a 1/3 of the feta, salt and pepper and the chili (if you choose to use it)- you can mash it together with a fork or use a pestle and mortar if you have one!
- assemble your toast: sweet potato planks on the bottom, spread the pea mash, then top with the egg, the rest of the feta and pumpkin seeds (if you choose to use red pepper flake- just sprinkle on top!)
Thanks so much for reading!